Monday 2 September 2013

Wall mural

If you had told me at the start of the weekend that I would graffiti our side fence, I would've responded BS!

For some inexplicable reason, I was compelled to go through our stockpile of spray paints and began vandalising our old fence like a mad woman. As you do on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I know, why wouldn't I just paint the valance instead? That would take all the glory from out-of-action Jason, that's why!

Anyway, I had fantastic ideas which I sketched on paper and when it came to transposing it on a larger scale onto the corrugated iron fence it did not work as well as I liked. I take my hat off to the graffiti/street artists of the world (not the tag vandals because there's no talent in that) as spray painting is not as easy as they make it look!

This is one of my favourite street art images found in Melbourne.

image from here
I also had visions of an abstract mural similar to the one found in the modernist Rose Siedler House in Sydney...


But I will need to work myself up to something as fancy as the stencil graffiti and abstract murals. So in the meantime, I'm sticking to basic spring flowers - a little bit of a nod to Orla Kiely, the great pattern reinterpreter.

The corrugated iron fence is not the prettiest thing in the world. Jason and I are happy enough to make it a blank canvas for something more interesting. We will change it every few months depending on what captures our imagination. I have hope the kids will do something cool for summer.


The painted fence will probably be the only bit of spring colour that we will see in the Sow's Ear's garden this year!

12 comments:

  1. I like that immensely. It brings such character to the garden. Would you do my corrugated shed roof for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mise. I hope you don't mind if I create a unicorn garden on your shed roof?

      Delete
  2. Seriously love this! It looks fabulous... and I would not change a thing. I actually love a corrugated iron fence but totally love your mural too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, that's so nice of you to say! I've never really minded the fence, as it suits the place somewhat... xx

      Delete
  3. Such a fun thing to do at home...and you can't get arrested for it! I always love your creativity and originality Anita. So very refreshing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I thought exactly the same re legal graffiti! I could rent out the fence, y'know! xx

      Delete
  4. It actually looks really, really good.

    Anonymous Natalie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet thought deciding not to steel Jason's glory! Your artwork looks fabulous!!! I so admire great graffitis too, it's damn hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fan of street art, so I love what you've done. I especially like that you plan to change it every few months and let the kids take part. That's going to be such a great ongoing family project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a hoot! We have just been working on a big street art unit at school and had a wonderful look around ye old Powerhouse during the course.
    Here's a tip for easy stencil art. Make your drawing or print your image and laminate the little lovely before you get stuck into the cutting out. You can use it over and over or do a repeat print. Loving the Orla by the way and still have Orla envy over your quilt. It is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo you did good! I would never get it right! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it - I am inspired to do something on our boring back wooden fence now!

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails