Saturday 9 July 2011

Bris Cannery & Brismod

Shove over Julie & Julia, there's a new kid on the block. Yes, that's right, this is my year of cooking dangerously tropical with a tin of pineapple.

I'm inspired to prepare every recipe in the Golden Circle Tropical recipe book circa 1965, after our pineapple dinner party a few weeks ago. 

The recipe book is one which defines Queensland. There are about 140 recipes to master - from Rainbow Salad to Saucy Seafood Casseroles. 

My goal is to chronicle this life-changing journey in my blog...the trials, the tribulations...you get the picture.

I can see the movie and book deal now (there's always a movie and book deal with my hair brain schemes)!

With a tin of pineapple in the pantry, one never need eat pedestrian food again.

Today, I made Sunny Sausages for brunch. Never let it be said that I don't know how to treat my man. It was like a real worker's breakfast - the perfect meal to start the day of renovating ahead. 

Mr Rooney, our culinary builder, joined Jason for this uniquely Queensland feast.

Sunny Sausages
This was the food styling as suggested by the recipe book. Classic!
(Subliminal sexual innuendo runs rife in the book  and would make the most hardened home economist blush!)
 Sunny Sausages Recipe:
15 oz can sliced pineapple (in syrup)
required number of sausages
required number of eggs
tomato (I left this out because I didn't have any)
flour
parsley (for garnish)

Method:
Prick sausages, then lightly dust with flour. Place in greased pan and cook until richly browned. Place egg rings in pan and fry eggs. Place sausages and eggs on warmed serving plates. Pan fry the drained pineapple slices until golden on both sides. Serve with sausages and eggs. Garnish with tomato and parsley (I served with buttered toast instead).


Mr Rooney gives the meal the thumbs up
 The meal sustained them throughout the day using the mobile scaffold to finally install our window hoods. More on that in the next blog post.

mobile scaffold
So, I suggest to you the meal was a success.  And well done the Reds!

21 comments:

  1. I had to do a double scroll when I loaded that pic! That's the most awesomest plateup photo I've even seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love that sunshiney pineapple! Definitely worth a thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pineapple sellers online will be tripping over themselves to sponsor you and offer you free cruises to warm, pineapple-growing climes. Could you perhaps set up the Brismod Pineapple Blogging Awards, a small annual award to be made for Best Culinary Use of Pineapple? Mr Rooney could judge the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did Jason and Mr Rooney make any obscene comments or gestures before eating the frilly sausages? If not, then they are not real builders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too funny! Love the thumbs up by Mr. R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a touch of the frilly necked lizard in that plating scenario... very Priscilla Queen of the Serviette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I have never heard of flouring the sausage. The mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It reminds me of New Zealand recipes, always fruit with the meat: Lig of Limb with apricots anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Move over Master chef's of the world. I really do not know why!! :)
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, you got a thumbs up so it must be good! Well done. Now you have to try and upside down pineapple cake - delicious!!! I hope they have one in that politically incorrect cooking book you are using? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. there's a ray of sunshine in every tin isnt there? or omething like that!

    bloody brilliant darl, and i so wish i was have brekky at yours rather than this measly piece of vegemite toast (i've even run out of coffee!!!)

    Can't wait to see what other golden delights await - i'm pretty sure my mum has/had that book, and from memory it's a bloody ripper! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who would have thought? All weekend I was reading Donna Hay and instead I could have come right here to the sow's ear. Perhaps it was my friday night inspiration that got you going?

    ReplyDelete
  13. ick freak - swingtown here we come .. BTW are you watching that ABC2 monday nite 8.30pm - you'd love the mod vibe from the 1970s set in chicago - it's funny, sentimental and serious all at one - we love it - plus the eat horses douvers and 70s finger finger food ... hee hee love le xox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to ride the wild ride that is a Pineapple-based recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. In a Spooky I-can't-believe-it-either-style-Coincidence, yesterday I made a hummingbird cake, and randomly added a drained tin of Crushed Golden Circle Pineapple in syrup that I had in the pantry. Result? Super tasty. I do love tinned pineapple. Frankly, it's up there with the Glory that is Tinned Corn. Carry On.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh how excitement. It is going to be the year of living dangerously with crushed pineapple at Zoila's. Can't wait! melx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! I love it. The best bit is the parsley for garnish. A 70's meal would not be complete without this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sunny sausages look yummy. I love grilled pineapples, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Who doesn't love a phallic food display?! It looked very tasty and amusing. You don't find that combo often enough.
    Pineapple, pineapple, I love, you love pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad there are so many tinned pineapple fans out there!! Stay tuned as I have another brekky pineapple special to tantalise your taste buds. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely get ready for that book deal - you'll be the most successful blogger turned author yet. Perfect plating - and my, how I'm still laughing! (Although we are a little sad in our household that the Crusaders didn't win.)

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails