Monday 9 April 2012

Old houses and their stories

My mate Katherine from the oldboathouse paid us a visit just before Easter. It was good to catch up as we hadn't seen each other in an age. We talked a lot about old homes in Brisbane and how there are so many wonderful stories contained within their walls...how old homes provide a tangible legacy for the families that built or lived in these houses.

Katherine says she loves reading the stuff I've uncovered about the original owners of the Sow's Ear - the Stables family. We got on to the topic of the book Tare Harvest which was written by Zoila Stables. You can read about how I obtained a copy HERE.

It had been about a month since the book was purchased...and it still hadn't arrived. I feared it was lost in the mail.  Katherine said I should contact the seller just to double check that it had actually been sent. I had given up hope.

That very afternoon you can guess what arrived on my door step...Yes! It was the book.

Although I've only read a few chapters, my sense is that Tare Harvest is based more on fact than fiction...it is a family saga which seems to mirror her family's life in Argentina before emigrating to Australia. It is also dedicated to her mother.

It is fascinating to read Zoila's words. I now believe my house history research is only a small part of something bigger.


I'd like to send a big shout out to Sherri Jameson owner of Jameson Hard Goods (purveyors of uncommon wares) in Detroit, Michigan. Sherri came across the book and contacted me after she googled the title which eventually led to this blog. Thank heaven for people like Sherri!


6 comments:

  1. That's truly amazing that that book ended up back where it belongs. Such a nice piece of history for the Sows' ear.

    Speaking of ears, I just had a trawl through the Jamesons' website, and literally gagged at their 'ear wax pitcher'. Thank goodness Zoila didn't have publicised hearing problems or that may have turned up in your letterbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! Well they did say they are purveyors of uncommon wares! Hilarious. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Sherri's handwriting! Oh to have grown up handwriting like that rather than Queensland Beginner's Script ... a lasting legacy of being a teacher & forever having handwriting that a 6 year old could replicate ;-) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For all the work these old houses provide they give so much back with these eclectic and lovely histories of a simpler time. Finding that book is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The history of houses and their past occupants is priceless!
    I'm so glad you've been able to get a copy of Zoila's book. It just ties up another (of the many) ends to the house...
    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Katherine, and think it's fascinating to learn about the history of houses.
    How fortuitous to get your hands on that book!

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails