Sunday 5 June 2011

Outdoor cushions


Things never happen in a hurry around here, but they do eventually happen. Like these outdoor cushions re-purposed from retro curtain fabric I salvaged from my Mum's junk room .

Remember when I talked about the fabric here?

Well, they are now a reality. My friend Melissa, who is part of Seamstress and the Daughters and sells her wares at various craft markets around Brisbane, kindly whipped up theses fantastic cushions, custom-made for our bench seats. They are brilliant and not only in colour!



The cushions have ties sewn into the side seams which then secure the cushions onto the seats. They are also the perfect cushioning - not too flat, not too puffy. We have used them for a couple of events which we have hosted on the deck.


The cushions are not weatherproof as they are made from normal fabric, although I will scotch guard them for spills and stains. I'm happy enough to store them indoors when they are not in use. Anyway, they are made from old curtains so I don't have to be particularly precious with them - it's good they have been given a second life.

Melissa can be contacted on 044 751 492 if you like and appreciate her work. As well as making cushions from reclaimed fabric, she also makes and sells fabulous sun hats. 

27 comments:

  1. Well done Melissa! They really suit the vibe of you deck Anita. Looks a great place to chillax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look excellent. I love them. I wondered what you did with your Mum's curtains. The deck looks brilliant. All that burnt orange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at your lovely chairs in the corner. These cushions look so bright and full of fun. Good recycling!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look really inviting for bottoms to be planted, strapped to the seat no less, fantastic!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cushions, and every time I see a photo of your deck I love it a bit more. It does look like a great spot. Is it always that tidy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great touch, adds the perfect pop of colour. I wonder if you are going to get rid of the modern table or is it a new addition??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! They pop! And the Kartell tables are gorgeous - orange!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look amazing! Is she the clever
    one who made my fellow on the wall, the gooky doll guy,?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look fab Anita. I love the combo of colours and patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them, the colours are amazing..and omg look at your deck! wahhhhhh I want my house finished xox lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cushions are great. Your deck is fabulous and I love the table.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cushions look like they were designed for the space. So nice to see some well done repurposing as well. That deck, is so clean and leaf free. I can feel leaf free deck envy creeping over me. melx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous!! LOVE the vibrant colours of the fabric. Ooooo. Ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They're fabulous (and much nicer than the cushions we use indoors, ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So funky, love them! Also noticed those Casala chairs .... yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely! I love the pops of color.

    ReplyDelete
  17. they must have been some RAD curtains in their day. they look amazing in their new form
    laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun and bright! I laughed when I read that you are taking them inside when not in use. I do the same with the cushions on our bench seat downstairs then pop them out when people are coming over!!! The things we do. Ange

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look great! The whole outdoor area does - love those Giotto Stoppino tables. I've been eyeing off a yellow set x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seriously cool cushions. Great that they tie on. I hate it that I have a numb bum after long conversations while sitting on benches!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking pretty good Anita. Love the idea of the ties to keep the cushions from slipping. Excellent.

    You must be very pleased as they blend in with your style.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That deck is seriously rocking the Casbah!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a gorgeous outdoor table and chairs set, I especially like the fabulous cushions. What a lovely place to eat and entertain! Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your outdoor table and chairs. Can I ask where you bought them from?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Anonymous. We purchased them from here:
    http://www.agfc.com.au/stainlesssteel/stainlesssteel.html
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails