Friday 30 September 2011

Danish candlesticks and slim taper candles

I'll tell you what, you know your days as a groover are kaput when you drive into Paddington and bypass all the cool shops in Latrobe Terrace and head straight for Herbert Street.

Yeah, that's where Christian Supplies is located. I've become my grandmother!

I've been tracking down slim taper candles to go into a Danish candle holder. You have to go to a religious supply shop as they tend to have the monopoly on the not-so-stock-standard candles.

From my experience, the teenager in the trendy candle store just stares at you blankly if you walk in asking for a slim taper. Que?

Danish candle holder with slim taper candles
Aida-Stagen

Non drip slim taper candle

I bought a supply of non drip taper candles and three inch candles for some other Danish teak candlesticks. (thanks Jo, they look even better with candles in them). Fantastic!

Danish teak candle holders with three inch candles.

And because I don't get out much, I took the opportunity to browse the shelves. The boys were with me and they nagged me to buy them a crucifix.

Colourful El Salvadorean crosses

How could I say no? It's hilarious. As if I could say, "Put the friggin' cross down." Like I normally would if they had picked up a Star Wars toy.

Anyway, they chose an Indigenous cross. It's kinda cool.

Living Waters Cross by artist Narelle Urquhart


17 comments:

  1. Hahahaha "Put the friggen cross down".... laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! You wouldn't believe it, but not more than two hours ago I was having a conversation with someone about that exact shop and she was telling me how it'd moved to Paddington and how it had a lot of South American-inspired crucifixes etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, yes I always have a problem with blasphemy when I'm in the company of those who don't.
    Lovely candles though, very slim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now they know your weak spot. They'll be wanting crosses everywhere you go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a religious bone in my body but I have quite a few crosses around the place (just to be on the safe side!?) Nah, it's the classic shape. I love the one the boys chose. It's more than kinda cool. It's awesome. That Danish candle holder adorned with slim taper candles is pretty spesh too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're better than the crosses at my Catholic school... and the Marys - we had a lot of Mary statues. I think a Mary in your house might be a bit too much but the cross is cool. The kids will be sword fighting with it by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. best looking crosses I have seen in this lifetime :) le xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha friggin funny post. We are without a cross in this house but that one is kinda cool. I had to go to the religious shop when buying candles for our wedding reception. They really do have the best candles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I hope they don't droop when it gets hotter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those candles and Danish candle holders really float my boat.

    Nice cross too xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful slim taper candles. I shall pray for some of those for myself, or see about stealing a few from a nearby church.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes this post made me friggin' laugh too. Classic. Might have to include this store in my Paddington Precinkt. Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good choice by the boys ... very cool indeed. I bought one of those crosses for a friend's baby's christening. Everyone mocked me ... At the time I was seriously pissed about it ... I'm not religious in the slightest but since when did christenings become about getting toys (which is what everyone else bought)? P.S. I'm loving the candles thingamegigs. Anonymous Natalie xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh, teenagers. Well, what a great secret because I haven't come across the slim tapers before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only place I could find these candles was online at a Jewish supply shop. I had to order about forty at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those candles.Just remember you live in a wooden house.Jason is doing a stella job painting.I wish I could be bothered to banish the green and cream from our house, but because painting is usually my job I'm happy just to keep it free of possum poo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahaha, that's classic. The crosses do actually look cool though, I can see why the boys were attracted to those colours and patterns. And the Danish candleholders are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails