Thursday 15 September 2011

Olive oil tin can planter

I really ought to be painting the fences... instead I've been pottering around the yard - a bit of weeding, pruning, fertilising, watering and planting.

In Blogtopia, I have noticed large olive oil tins used as planter pots. They've always appealed to me for some reason. Perhaps I'm a Greenie deep down inside.

I always throw out our olive oil tins with the recycling but I kept the last one aside to make it into a herb pot. It seemed like a good thing to do.

There are instruction on how to whip one up at Apartment Therapy blog. It is really a no-brainer but here is the link to the instructions anyway.

This is what was created today. It literally took 10 minutes to make. I planted some basil in the tin as I have had absolutely no luck growing it in my laundry tub planter. Apparently, basil grows best in its own pot.

Olive oil tin can planter with basil

We'll see. I'm hoping Basil likes its new olive oil tin. And I have a feeling that my olive oil buying in the future will be based on the attractiveness of the packaging.

18 comments:

  1. It would look good I'm sure on the kitchen bench. I like these too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo cute! I can see a cluster of these in my front garden actually... Better up our oil intake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bellissimmo! I wonder whether I've spelled that correctly. Seven Blogtopian points for that lovely project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great...but would take me a year or so to get through that much oil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. and fair call too, if they're going to be decorative, then they need to be...well, decorative. Do you need to have holes in the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep Kitty, I punctured a whole lot of holes on the bottom and filled it with some rocks for drainage. xx

    Kathryn, I think this is about a years worth of olive oil for us. It will be another year before I have the next tin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very groovy. The lady is extending the olive branch - so success is assured. I've not enjoyed longevity with coriander or basil. Basil, mozzarella, tomatoes and olive oil are a fave of mine in warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to do this for ages! Thanks for the link - yours looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hee hee like wine - the prettiest, funkiest, retro labels always win me :) le xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. They make handy bins too - in the bathroom and in the kitchen for collecting scraps for the chooks.

    TDM xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks great! I love those tins.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a good idea. I may follow suit.

    I'd be interested to know how it goes. I spend a fortune on supermarket-bought herbs and I'm beginning to think there must be another way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks really cute. I have no luck with basil. I hadn't heard that about it liking its own pot so I'll have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic! :) I was looking at my own, same oil tin yesterday, wondering if I could do something with it. I thought perhaps to cut the picture out and frame it..? This looks quicker and easier, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks great! Your basil should be very happy in it's new home.

    The possibilities with those tins are endless... it'd make a cool vase too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. Yes, it's all about the aesthetics isn't it! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. How nice!
    By the way, that's the oil brand my mother uses to cook. I didn't know it was sold in Australia too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I'm going to have to start buying pretty olive oil containers. Though masterchef is definitely making me use olive oil a lot faster than I normally would have

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails