Thursday 27 June 2013

Home advice for Kevin

You could be forgiven for thinking that you were in a coma for the past three years, after hearing about the resurrection of Kevin Rudd to the position of Australian Prime Minister. Yesterday saw yet another Labor leadership spill which saw the deposition of Julia Gillard as PM. Interesting times for Australian politics.

Three years ago I gave Julia some home advice when she got the top job and after the shock of seeing a photograph of her home. You can read about it here. So in the spirit of being fair, I think it is important that Kevin receives similar advice.

But do you think I could find an interiors shot of his Norman Park Queenslander home?

Apparently the Rudds bought their home in 1994, however the only shots I could find of their house was their carport and verandah...

What are Kevin and Therese hiding? Has Kevin let the cracks in his VJs get out of control? Is their home full of fussy antiques or are they closet hoarders? How do you really know someone unless you see how they live?

This is the front entrance to their home which seems to be nestled back from the street. It is very private which I guess is a good thing when you are in public life. At least no one can do a Google search and randomly critique your home with wild abandon.

image from here
The carport screams 1990s faux heritage to me (much like the Sow's Ear's decorative finials, that I dislike immensely). I'm not a big fan of the porthole fretwork or the colour scheme on this carport. I also think they might need a Dulux colour consultant to pay them a visit...

Their home is screaming out for Whisper White and Pure Black trim which could win the hearts and minds of all the 'designery types' out there. Imagine how striking that entrance could look with a white picket fence.

image from here

From what I can see of the verandah, my uneducated guess is that this Queenslander is from the early  1900s. It has fabulous bones, but where are all the house plants or potted colour to give it that sense of homeliness? Also, where's the macrame pot hangers? I could hook the Rudds up with Pippa from Ouchflower blog - she can knot a few macrame creations to give that verandah some quirk.

Again the paint work is letting the home down. It makes me weep to see the French doors and panelled doors painted in three colours - cream, white and heritage green. So 1990s. And why are all the doors shut? Again, what are they hiding?

I'm also on the fence about the painted decking boards, preferring the natural oiled timber look on a verandah.

The wicker outdoor furniture is a nice choice for a Queenslander verandah - a classic! I also reckon their outdoor furniture would look even better if the house was a different colour. Don't you?

And doormats. You can't have all those entry points without a doormat or two. I think the Rudds need to invest in a nice doormat. But they really ought to give the Governor-General one as a gift too. The one below would be perfect for Yarralumla.


Hope they take some of my advice. They'll get in the pages of Belle Magazine if they play their cards right... Are you curious to get a sneak peek inside?


17 comments:

  1. I don't like their color scheme either. I don't know much about Queenslanders, but I know outdated colors when I see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious Dana. I think they need to break out the paint brushes pronto! xx

      Delete
  2. Forget the house (for now), these two need a makeover themselves. Kevin could dye his hair to start with, lose 15 kilos, get a tan, and as for Therese...I'm sorry I don't know where to start with her horrific appearance..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Adam! So harsh...but there is no denying political life has a way of prematurely ageing our elected representatives. x

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I've been holding that one in for a while :)

      Delete
  3. I think he has his sights set on renovating another house - The Lodge (again)! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think he was determined to make it his home again. x

      Delete
  4. Those colours are rather... patriotic, aren't they! They really should keep it local, involve the boys from OVP, adopt their colour scheme and I'll do the photos - sorted.

    love the door mat... so apt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your thinking Elizabeth. I think that doormat was made for Kevin! xx

      Delete
  5. Has Kevin let the cracks in his VJs get out of control?

    Bwahahahahahahaha!!! Hilarious.

    And no, one must not paint the decking boards... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that about the decking. But aren't you curious to see inside? I thought there would be at least one photo of the interior...

      Delete
  6. Hehehehehehehe! Very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! Love it! Not the paint, or styling obviously, but your advice! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. God someone in the Rudd PR Dept needs to give you a job, so funny. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that gave me a good chuckle, Anita. I haven't laughed like that since I read your advice to Julia. His house is a bit like him really, blah, blah, blah.
    Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails