Thursday 24 March 2011

Harlequin ramekins and update

Tonight's dessert is rice custard*.

There is some left-over rice which I need to use up. It makes the perfect excuse for me to whip out my favourite harlequin ramekins which were a gift from a good friend.

I've had them for years now and usually use these pastel-coloured beauties when making crème brûlée or panna cotta. The ramekins are old Villeroy & Boch Festival Ware egg poachers. I wouldn't have a clue how to poach an egg in them though...

As to their exact vintage, I'm uncertain, but judging by their shape and form they could be late 50s or early 60s. They are very "Madmen'esque" (I made that word up) and very cute.

I'm looking forward to using them again.

Villeroy and Boch harlequin ramekins

I get first dibs on the pink one.

*the recipe I use is from here

***Addendum at 4.55 pm***


I just retrieved the ramekins from the oven and it looks like we have success!

Rice custard dessert in vintage Villeroy & Boch ramekins

17 comments:

  1. Well I definitely wouldn't poach an egg in those you would have to balance them in boiling water - way too high risk. They are very lovely though.

    Rice pudding is very Enid Blyton isn't it? Maybe I will have a go.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madmen'esque that they are. I like their cute handles. Rice pudding is a blast from the past. As in decades ago. I now have an unusual desire to eat some. Excellent repurposing of the rice! Mine only ever becomes fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I think you'll find that I had first dibs on the Pink one.

    Got the pick of the litter too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are super cute! Fun that you still have the box too. I like the look of the one at the back...the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought they would look nice on your kitchen shelf for display.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some serious retro cooking going on in your house - yummo and love the colourful ramekins too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Will have to try that recipe and get some of those ramekins. Ange

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Villeroy and Boch, such fabulous quality and the dessert looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them. Your pudding looks pretty nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want those. With that dessert in them. It's not fair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your ramekins and the rice custard looks pretty good too! Love what youre doing with your old Queenslander. (house!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look adorable and yummy too with that dessert in them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are really lovely - pudding looks pretty good too. Yummo.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!I can smell them here I think. What a lovely lot of dishes.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are so cute! I think that Persian Rice pudding would also look pretty in them too! http://pantone801.com/index.php/2011/03/persian-ferni-rice-pudding/ (The little cups in the picture are Marc Newsom for Qantas collected over the years)

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails