I'm compiling a glossary of the expressions that get bandied around here, as we renovate the Sow's Ear.
We don't hear Australian expressions or words as much these days...people speak much differently now than they used to a generation or so ago. I must admit that business management terminology, computer and tech words and Americanisms have crept into my vocabulary.
Mr Rooney, our over-educated builder, speaks like an old grandpa, except he's not that old. With his interesting turn of phrase and choice of words, it's like stepping back in time.
Anyway, here are some of our favourite (and somewhat least offensive) Mr Rooney-isms which have entered the Fun and VJs vernacular:
- Same mother, same father - consistently themed, if not exactly matching
- Necking a few frosty treats - drinking cold beer
- Cracker - really good
- Goes off like Chinese New Year - an enthusiastic bedroom performer (how does this come up in building conversation?)
- Has a face like a kicked-in sh*t can - someone ugly
- Dropping a grogan - going to the toilet
- Bum-nuts - eggs
- Blowing smoke up other people's fundaments - giving praise
- Blunt as my knob - "this chisel needs sharpening"
- Ooroo - good-bye